Friday, April 26, 2013

Weekly Review: Signal to Noise by Talya Andor

Signal to NoiseSignal to Noise by Talya Andor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Signal to Noise was a very interesting story. Okay... it has underage twincest, which really isn't my thing but I could overlook the actual sex scenes and still really enjoyed the story. If you can't do that, then don't read it. Fortunately the author does warn prospective readers.

The complex universe with the various groups wasn't as fleshed out as the immediate military hierarchy but I still was able to understand the 'bigger picture' of the setting. The compound on Noise, the descriptions of the planet, and the 'bad aliens' *shudders* were very vividly described.

In many ways, this story was really well done. There were diverse 'villians' and I felt the character progression of the human ones were done quite well. The supporting characters were a larger pool than a lot of stories use in such a short plot period, but I was able to keep the different people straight-in part because as part of a military group they were so very regimented into specific roles.

If I had any complaint, it would be that the twins were too 'similar'. I'd have liked to see them have more distinct personalities ... but would that have fit in with the story as plotted? They had a unique bond (not just about the sex, so if you read this and skip that, it still makes sense)and they spent a lot of their formative time alone. I wasn't unredeemably confused ... it's just something I noticed as I read that keeping them apart and remember which had which physical appearance/personality was hard.

This story was good, enough so that I check back from time to time to see if a sequel is in the works. I'd like to read more about the twin's journey and the war overall.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!