Friday, August 2, 2013

Weekly Review: Apple Polisher by Heidi Belleau

Apple PolisherApple Polisher by Heidi Belleau
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Apple Polisher surprised me. It was an interesting name for an interesting book. I thought it would be full of cliches, and in a way it was. We had the classic character tropes, but many of them had hidden qualities that made them more human than their basic first impressions. Christian was anal retentive and uptight ... but he had so many reasons for being that way and he didn't like being that way--though from the synopsis I really thought he was an upright prig through and through.

Max's secrets were varied. I was really surprised by the dual natures he exhibited from his very *ahem* interesting job and his volunteering. As a couple, Christian and Max worked really well together. They were opposites, but more alike under the surface than I originally assumed.

The sub-plot existing with the romance plot was all about family, and the things we do to try to help each other out. I really liked Christian's aunt. I loved the progression he went through from blushing prude to blase flirt. Though, being the germaphobe that I am, the sex scene in the video store just about had me cringing away from my eReader.

All in all, this was an entertaining story. I came into it expecting to be a little bored, but in the end, really enjoyed the characters. The story was a little predictable, and one scene ... we'll call it the computer scene, to avoid spoilers, was just too far out of character for Christian for me to believe. I really liked the climactic moment it relayed between him and Max, but it was just so beyond what I'd learned of Christian's comfort zones that I couldn't really believe it.

I'd definitely recommend this eBook if you're looking for a sweet, if a bit turbulent, contemporary romance with a lot of chuckles. The humorous moments were definitely a big plus for this eBook, making my hubby send me numerous raised eyebrows.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!