Tuesday, October 4, 2016

QSF Flash Fiction Anthology: Flight


What are those? Just a few peeks of the illustrations included in Flight! What is Flight? Well... read on!


One of my favorite groups on Facebook is the Queer Scifi Group. Do you like to read scifi? Write it? Either way, it's a great group with limited promotion but unlimited discussion potential. Nearly every day there are posted conversations all about speculative fiction themes. The group also hosts special events, like their annual Flash Fiction Contest.

I've participated each year, and it's been amazing fun! There is nothing like the challenge of taking a theme and seeing where your mind--and the minds of a bunch of other authors--can go. Trying to tell an entire story in just 300 words is far more challenging than some might think; each and every word has to be chosen carefully.

This year's theme was Flight, and there were a ton of great features. I didn't place in the contest, but my story was chosen for inclusion in the eBook. Proceeds benefit the group to keep it growing, purchasing marketing materials to help promote speculative fiction within the gay fiction genre, and generally spread the awesomeness that is the Queer Sci-fi Group.

So what did I think of when I considered Flight? Wings? Did that with my Falcon Carthera. An airplane disaster? Way too real life. Mythology? Hmm... but no.

Flight had another meaning for me because as a kid I used to dream of flying all the time, and it always represented a freedom I desperately wanted. That memory resonated with me, and the idea for Changed came about. Cas experienced a trauma and pushed away his lover, Heath. He takes a job flying the remote reaches of space, giving him freedom from the whispers and stares, but his inner turmoil can't be escaped.

You'll have to read the book if you want to find out more though. And, along with my flash fiction story, you'll get 110 others that range from fantasy, paranormal, sci-fi, and horror. AND, as an added bonus, there are amazing illustrations created for the contest winners as well as the judge's choice winners.


Publisher: Mischief Corner Books

Author: Various

Cover & Illustrations Artist: Mila May

Length: 33.6 K

Format: ebook, print

Release Date: General release 9/21/16

Pairing: LGBTIQA

Price: $4.99 eBook, $12.99 print b/w*, $24.99 print color*



*Book contains 5 illustrations inside.




Buy Sites:


iBooks: http://bit.ly/2cRhbns
Kobo: http://bit.ly/2cRfMxn
ARe: http://bit.ly/2cRfyWR
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2ciEa86

Excerpt from Changed:

Heath reached out. “You agreed to always come back to me.”

Cas stumbled away. “I’m sorry.” He couldn’t let Heath touch his ruined body, to learn the truth. “I’m leaving today.”

(Yep, that's all you get! What do you want? It's only a 300 word short story!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!