Saturday, May 7, 2016

eBook Review: Lab Rat by Nephy Hart


MY REVIEW

So much mystery and intrigue!

Lab Rat by Nephy Hart is by no means an easy read, even if this qualifies as a YA title. Her characters have lived hard lives, so it's not easy learning about their pasts as they struggle to mange their present circumstances. I easily fell in love with her story just as easily as I always have, fascinated and appalled at the same time by Gabriel.

Because I'm familiar with Nephy's work, I knew the story was more than it appeared at first. Gabriel is a complex character with a lot of pain in his past. His present is all about trying to forget, but things have been getting worse for him, not better. His family can't handle him, he's working hard at alienating his friends, and he makes bad choice after bad choice.

The worst of them all is letting Laurie in.. or so Gabriel thinks. I loved the characters' instant connection, since I could relate, but it didn't really fall into insta-love for me. Gabriel is antagonistic, Laurie is enigmatic, and forces outside their control are coming into play that might tear them apart. Literally.

So I can't say more without spoiling, but if you're into stories that focus on the characters and the developing plot, with a ton of heightened tension wondering what's going to happen, Lab Rat is for you!


ABOUT THE BOOK

At thirteen, Gabriel was subjected to experimentation designed to awaken latent psychic abilities.
He’s been locked in a downward spiral of self-destruction ever since.
Then one night he meets Laurie, who is the antithesis of everything Gabriel’s become: cheerful, optimistic, and comfortable in his own skin.
Laurie pursues Gabriel. But Gabriel no longer believes in love. With a dark past and a history of disastrous relationships, he’s promised himself ‘no more’. Laurie, however, won’t let go, no matter how many obstacles Gabriel places in his way.
When Gabriel starts hearing voices in his head, he realizes they belong to the scientists who experimented on him. Worse, they’re trying to track him down.
With the past nipping at his heels, Gabriel and Laurie flee together.
Can they outrun the enemy? Can they save Gabriel before either his life or his sanity are forfeit?

EXCERPT


I’m aware of people, lots of people, all around. I can hear them. They’re talking about me. I know they’re talking about me. I can’t move yet. I can’t open my eyes, but I can feel them touching me.
“Oh the poor boy. Is he alright?” … “Freak, probably on drugs.”… “Should we get help?”… “Maybe we should call an ambulance.”… “Maybe he’s going to die. Cool.”… “Did he have a fit or something? Wish I’d been here.”… “Can I help? Should I do something?”… “I’m going to be late for work, but I want to see if anything interesting happens.”… “I wonder what’s for tea tonight.” … “This is better than the telly.”
“Why? Why did he run away? I know he wasn’t coming back. I thought… after last night I thought we had something. I thought I was finally getting through to him. Why won’t he let me in? Why won’t he realise how beautiful he is, how much I love him? What have I done wrong? What did I do to scare him away? Why is he so scared? Why won’t he reach out to me? Why won’t he let me reach out to him?”
“Laurie?” Why did he say those things to me here? Why was he so open in front of all these people? Oh shit. No.
My eyes snap open and I sit bolt upright. There are maybe ten or fifteen people clustered around, some looking concerned, some interested, some hungry for more drama. I gaze at them. I can still hear them, but… but no one’s speaking.
“Did you say that?”
“What? Gabriel, are you okay?”
“Tell me. Did you speak?”
“Gabriel—”
“Did you speak?”
“No. No, I didn’t speak. I was too scared.”
“No,” I whisper and close my eyes, letting myself fall back to the ground. I don’t care about the stares. I don’t care about the people. I don’t even care about Laurie. All I care about is the stabbing pain in my head—a fizzing, popping, creeping pain—and all I can think is: Oh no… no… no. Not again.
“Gabriel. What is it? What’s wrong? Please Gabriel. Speak to me or I’m going to call an ambulance.”
“No.” I sit up again. “I can’t…. It’s not…. Just help me up. I’m alright, just….”
“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea, Gabriel. You look—”
“Did I ask your opinion? If you won’t help me, I’ll do it myself.” For the first time, I actually take some notice of my surroundings. I’m in the park. There’s a bench nearby. If I can crawl over to it, I can….
“You’re so fucking stubborn. Here.” I look up, blinking in the sunlight. With a sigh, I take his hand and let him haul me to my feet. The pain stabs me and I stagger. He puts his arm around my waist, and I rest my head against his shoulder. It feels good. “I’ll help you get home.”
“No.” That’s the last place I can go now. This is…. Now I know, and know for sure, I’m not safe. No one near me is safe. I glance down at the ground where I’d been lying. Nearby is a bush, a holly bush. There are other holly bushes in the park, but unlike any of them, this one has no leaves. Underneath the bush lies a robin. It’s dead.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for hosting me and for reviewing Lab Rat. You're right, it's not an easy read and I'm glad you enjoyed

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!