Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Ancalagon Ch. 89

 

“The Galactic Council wants peace between the many unique species all over the universe.  I have come with Garjah and Essell to start the introductions.” Ases stepped forward and bowed. “My name is Ases. I hope that you will give me time to learn your culture and forgive any mistakes in my manners, but know I have nothing but the best of intentions as we create a bridge to bring your worlds alongside the Galactic society.”

“This is not our way.” That question was not staged. A contingent of new arrivals pushed their way through the crowd, but they were only led by two security forces.

The Kardoval had discovered our landing.

“Our ways have changed before, when it was necessary. The universe is not as large as it once was, and other species are not the danger to us they were either. Our technology is advanced, and our security is strong.” Garjah smiled when the crowds cheered.

“With the guidance I learned from our many meetings, I was able to bring create a treaty with the Galactic with favorable terms for us. Ases is a Fertet, just one of the many species we met. He brings new technology, new ideas, and new opportunities. In fact, his mech currently is broadcasting the first look the rest of the universe has of our planet. I appreciate the warm welcome our people have shown him.”

Garjah’s announcement stopped the Kardoval in their tracks as they approached us; they clearly heard the same subtle warning in his tone I did. “We saw the signal to the planetary web,” Mereval said. She led the phalanx spearing toward our position.

Saw, but didn’t stop? Or was that a clue to state they’d locked it down? I’d

“It is bouncing off satellites to also broadcast to all Galactic planets within range as well,” I said. “After being hidden for so long, many people are curious about yours. With the protective stance Garjah took over Ardra, there are others who wonder what kind of home world you have. We thought, what better way to help introduce the rest of the Neejah’al to them with your warm welcome to new progress?” Garjah’s hand clenched down, our fingers woven together tight.

Sure, I was laying it on thick, but it was necessary. We were known to the Galactic as the ambassadors for his people, not the Kardoval, and this entire landing and first meeting was being recorded and viewed live. Hiding had just become impossible.

Yep, message received. Their skin all paled, their facial markings standing out distinctively, and Sloval’s lips were twisted as he glared directly at me. They had lost control over the entire situation, and they could either attempt to save face and retain the illusion of power… or lose it entirely.

The balance of their future, and ours, hung on the next few moments.

“Your negotiations on our behalf were no doubt guided by the wisdom of your mother, Pryntiok, who straddle two paths and did things most could not do.”

Garjah put a fist to his chest and bowed. “I want only the best for the Neejah’al so that all may prosper.”

“Of course. We did not know of your arrival time, so we do not yet have a welcome ceremony and dinner planned, but tomorrow would be lovely. Ambassador Ases, if you would do us the honor of attending a meal in your own to celebrate your coming and the treaty we have to review?” Lenveval smoothly extended an invitation and a slap of reality at the same time.

As the planetary rules, they did have to agree and ratify the treaties. I’d hoped they didn’t know that, but maybe they weren’t quite as isolated as the rest of the planet.

“Ases is staying with us,” I said. Bouncer rubbed his body against the front of my legs and then took the few steps to Ases’ side and did the same to him before crouching between us to stare down at the Kardoval. It was a pose that exposed the leashed power of his larger-than-life body and intent gaze. “His luggage is being shipped with ours.”

The few things we had when we’d bought on our way out of the city weren’t suitable for the occasion, and try though I should pay, it wasn’t like I had the ability or that Garjah wanted me to. Ases would need time and some tutoring until he understood their society; I barely understood it and I had Garjah to lean on. I wouldn’t let my friend flounder on this all-important mission.

“Of course. If you’ll just follow us, we have transport—”

“We have a vehicle, thank you.” As if by magic, or maybe someone was listening in on the broadcast, it was time to go. A shuttle appeared and settled down next to the ship, away from the crowd so not to kick up dust.

“My thanks again for your hospitality, and I look forward to both sharing a meal with you and learning more about your people,” Ases said smoothly. He had gotten good at the social graces while I was away.

Too bad I hadn’t. I was trading glares with Sloval. I’d like to think I was winning, but I was rather powerless in this situation. I didn’t have a network of protestors and old friends, or couches to skip between.

What I did have was sheer determination.

I wanted Garjah safe, so he would be. “Thank you all for coming, and please watch the feed for more coming soon from Ases. We both have so much to share with you.”

“We welcome that.” Mereval’s voice was sweetness and light, but her tone could not be mistaken. This was just the first battle in the war; we might have won but it wasn’t over.

Want more flash?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!