Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Ancalagon Chapter 118

 

I sat back in awe as I watched Garjah once again navigate through the intricacies of the Galactic Council by cutting through it with his usual efficiency. He was scary in his ability to cut to the heart of a matter and get what he wanted done. By the time most people would still be trying to arrange a meeting, in the future at their convenience, of course with some of the Councilors, Garjah had the Aqnars on the comm and agreeing to come oversee the set up of their new planetary government.

He must have made some impression on them.

As soon as he nodded at Ases, who instructed his mech to break the connection, I was in his arms. He’d certainly made an impression on me. “Who are you, and what did you do with my simple security officer?” I smiled at his confusion. “You don’t even know what you did, do you?”

Ases chuckled. “He doesn’t. It’s amazing; it was one of the reasons I agreed to come. I wanted to see if the entire planet was full of people who were so scarily capable of convincing those in power of doing what they want or if it was just him.”

“People in… doing what I want? I just had to beg for outsiders to come to my home to help deal with the Kardoval because I set a revolve in motion against our leaders who were trying to kill me and my bonded.”

“Yes, because you wouldn’t do what they wanted. Not the other way around.” Ases sounded thoughtful. “I suppose that’s good for the rest of the universe, though. If everyone on your planet was like you, now that you’re not going to be isolated, you’d probably take over in a heartbeat if that was your overall plan.”

“I don’t even want to take over this planet!” Garjah sounded and looked horrified.

“And that’s why I love you,” I said. “Everything you do is to take care of others, and yes, you can be overly serious and bossy when you do that, but that’s just in defense of those you love. And you love all of your people. Even the Kardoval, which is why you’re asking for help.”

“I don’t want anyone to get hurt.” Garjah stared at the wall of the greenhouse that faced the city, though the plants were far too thick to see past. “I know that can’t be avoided; I know the Kardoval have been hurting others, and they need to take responsibility for that before the people, but I don’t want them killed.”

“Even though they tried to kill you?” Ases asked bluntly. “And Essell?”

That was a low blow. For himself, Garjah would probably shrug it off. My safety was another thing. I turned my head and scowled. “Why don’t you stop needling him, Ases? Go shift and take Bouncer to explore the property or something.”

Ases smirked. “You know my senses are enhanced when I’m shifted, right? So don’t think you can get a little frisky in here and I won’t notice.”

“That’s not…. Ugh,” I grunted. “Just go.” Sometimes friends were too annoying to live.

“Fine.” Ases pushed away from where he was leaning on his mech and gestured for Bouncer. “Come on, big guy. Let’s go find some critters to chase.”

Bouncer had been keeping close to our sides, never roaming far while we were on the run from the Kardoval’s officers. He came over and rubbed against our legs, and I rubbed his ears. “We’re fine here. Go have some fun.”

I looked up at Garjah. “We are fine here, right?”

He nodded. “The greenhouse is shielded. They can’t scan for us, or for the signal we sent out from my system here. It’s also not property owned in my name; this was purchased by a friend using credit funneled through several different avenues.”

Garjah nodded toward Ases and the door. “Go on now.”

 

As soon as they left, I melted against Garjah. It felt like forever since we’d been alone. I knew they were close enough to hear us if we had a problem, but for once no one was expecting us to do anything, we didn’t have to go anywhere, and I could just whine.

“I’m tired.”

Garjah held me close and rubbed my upper back. “I know. Me too. Why don’t we sit down?”

The wooden seats weren’t as uncomfortable as they looked. They weren’t comfortable either, but being tucked against Garjah’s side and off my feet was enough to make it worth it. I sighed. “How long do we stay here?”

“As long as we need to. The Galactic will come, and I believe from what they said, and you told me, that they will help us set up a fair government that will give us a chance to move forward. We might just have to hide out here until people calm down.” He pointed toward low cabinet built into the back wall. “That pulls open and folds out into a bed. There’s also additional bedding, food and water, and clothing.”

“Bathroom?” I asked hopefully.

Garjah looked around. “Ahh.”

“Got it.” Sure, I’d lived on a lot of stations, but I’d also spent a lot of time on planets too. I was a biologist. “Sounds cozy. Ases can sleep shifted with Bouncer in the extra bedding you mentioned. I’m claiming the bed.” I yawned. “Soon.”

“I’ll get it set up.” Neither of us moved. “Everything is going to change again, isn’t it?” I said softly.

Garjah rumbled in his chest, his distinctive laugh vibrating under my ear. “My life has changed daily since I met you. You might have changed the most on the outside, but I think I’ve changed more on the inside.” He touched his head, then his chest. “You’ve made me better. The one thing that will always stay the same? I’m honored that you are my bonded, and nothing will ever change that.”

Pulling back so I could look directly into his eyes, I said, “You’ve made me better, too. And not just because now I have an extra set of hands to take notes, well, once I figure out how to do that with two hands at the same time.” I was determined to figure that out once I saw Timok doing it. “I know we both had a lot of drastic changes in our lives, but it’s our life. We’re in this together, and you give me a place.” I waved my hand all around us. “Here, and here.” I patted his chest. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Want more flash?

Julie Lynn Hayes  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!