Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Ancalagon Ch. 112

 

“So I’m good at keeping them safe.”

“You are, but it’s more than that.” Rubbing Garjah’s shoulders, I tried to put all the conviction I had into my voice, because until he believed, it didn’t matter what I said. “But let’s talk about what we need to do in order to stop the Kardoval. I’m thinking about using your strengths. Your ability to plan, to think of all the different angles and contingencies, and know what the potential risks and benefits may be. All the skills you used when we crafted the agreement with the Galactic on behalf of your people, who love you by the way, needs to be used to show them their true natures. I think that this whole memories thing, and your culture, has been crafted deliberately into the existing structure with the Kardoval in the position of power on purpose.”

“But it’s true. We do have these memories we can activate that make learning our careers easy.”

“You do,” I agreed. “I’ve seen it in action. But that doesn’t mean you can’t choose to learn a different skill. That some don’t have the ability, and memories, for more than one career path too. But belief is a strong thing.” They believed they could only follow one path in life, and they believed in those they chose as their leaders. But there was a limit to that. All these rebels proved that.

They could choose to think for themselves and make better choices about what was right and wrong.

“So what am I supposed to do?”

He didn’t see it. “Your people believe in you, Garjah. That ‘you would never bring harm to them’,” I quoted. “Every single person I spoke to, outside of the Kardoval and their lackeys, feels that way. Do you think the whole world feels the same way about them?”

Timok popped his head into our doorway. “The answer to that question is no.”

What the stars? I jerked nearly off my feet, smacking into Garjah’s chest. “What are you doing here?” The lack of privacy was atrocious, and I glared at him. “Shouldn’t you be off torturing and studying something?”

“I am.” His eyes gleamed in the pale light in the underground room.

“Ugh. Go away.” I pulled an arm out of Garjah’s embrace and shooed him off. “Stop being annoying.”

“That’s not possible.” Garjah’s voice rumbled in his chest, vibrating against my stomach. “He’s genetically conditioned to drive those around him insane.” His voice sounded fond regardless.

“Offensive,” Timok said the word as if he was the furthest thing from offended that he could possibly be. “I was just walking by, overheard what you were talking about far too loud, by the way, and offered my opinion. Since I’m the second old—”

“Oh goodie, we get to hear how old somebody should be to lead the group.” If that was the case, I wouldn’t lead a paper bag.

“Tut, tut, jealousy does not become you,” Timok said regally.

“Oh, shut it,” Garjah growled. “What did you really want? I know you weren’t sent to get us; they’d just use the comm for that. There’s nothing near our room to just pass by for, so spill it.”

“We may have a plan that I think will work with Essell’s idea.” Timok smirked when I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Who’s we?”

“Ases and me.”

“Why would Ases work with you?”

“Because I’m awesome?”

He was annoying, and offensive, and at times I loathed him. But if Ases had an idea, I’d listen. Which he knew. I huffed. “Fine. What is the idea?”

“Why don’t you come listen?”

“Huh?”

Timok looked past me to Garjah. He still had me wrapped up in his arms, and I wasn’t about to let him let me go. I’d missed him, and the touch grounded us both. “You know, sometimes he’s brilliant, and other times… not so much.”

I growled, and Garjah rubbed a hand down my back. Bouncer shifted where he lay on the bed behind Garjah, but Timok didn’t even flinch. I huffed, then decided to ignore Timok. That would drive him more crazy than responding to him. “Not Ases said he knew what you’d tell Garjah, and he was right based on what I overheard. So come listen to our plan, which he’s going to tell the rebel leaders. We need their help.”

“We do?”

Timok sighed. “Is it catching? Yes, we do. Now, come on. All three of you.”

 

The leaders of the rebellion against the Kardoval were either there in person or listening by comm as Ases outlined a plan I didn’t know I’d help come up with. He credited me with a large portion of it though. The first part of the plan was to get Ases’ mech out of Garjah’s home. We needed it’s capabilities to transmit, which the techs believed they’d dismantled on Garjah’s orders.

Ases’ father had bought him a better mech assistant than they knew, despite their advanced technology. With it, we’d be able to bypass the hold the Kardoval had on communication to the people. After that, it was revealing the evidence the rebels had and showing them the truth that Garjah had discovered.

That the Galactic wasn’t an enemy to be afraid of. The rest of the universe could be an ally. Their people could grow and change; tradition didn’t have to dictate their existence. The people who wanted more, who wanted choices and a different life could have that too and still belong.

And just what the Kardoval had been willing to do to keep the truth from the people and themselves in power. 

Want more flash?

Julie Lynn Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!