Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Wednesday Briefs: Ancalagon Ch. 113

 

“We’ve already given away the element of surprise,” Garjah said. “They will expect me to try to flee the city, so they’ll be on the lookout for anywhere I might go, like my house or the port.”

“Which is why you won’t do that,” Ases said. “We’re going to get my mech. You’re staying here to distract the Kardoval.”

Garjah raised his eyebrows, the skin on his forehead wrinkling around the ridges pushing back from his forehead and curling around his skull. He looked skeptical. “How exactly am I doing that?”

Ases had been somewhat vague on that part of the plan before. Chaintrik stepped forward. “We have several different members of the Kardoval’s security officers who are willing to provide diversions when you are seen, but you need to be obvious in your attempts to escape the city.”

“Attempts… to escape.”

“Of course. Medical supplies, maybe some food, attempts to take a transport. You’ll be seen with weapons.”

“Why would I need medical supplies?” Garjah shook his head. “The damage they created wasn’t physical, and they know that.”

“For Essell, of course. He’s going to have been injured in the attack to rescue you, just like a clumsy human.” Timok ignored the look I shot him. “I have a few tricks I can use that will make it look like he’s injured without hampering his movements. Much.”

“Ases, do you really think it’s a good idea to go off by yourself?” I still hadn’t let Garjah let me go, but I was turned in his arms to face sideways so I could see everyone in the meeting.

“I’m used to it. I’ve not been locked away at the Institute this whole time, Essell, despite what you think.”

I wasn’t so sure he was as experienced as he thought, but I wasn’t going to be able to change his mind. As well as he knew me, I knew him and he’d made up his mind. He was going. I gave in, as gracelessly as possible. “Fine. Whatever. Don’t think I won’t get you back for whatever you do to me,” I warned Timok.

“Oh, I’m very afraid.” He didn’t even have the grace to pretend I was threatening.

One of these days I was going to get Bouncer to do something very mean to him. My friend craned his head back against my belly, glancing up where he was curled over mine and Garjah’s feet. I scratched the underside of his jaw where the skin was softer. “Later,” I said.

I would swear a gleam entered his eyes. It must have been the flickering light of the caves. “If we’re going to do this, it should be now.”

Now?” I twisted in Garjah’s arms. “As in right now? Shouldn’t we… wait for something? Like a meal, or rest, or—”

“There’s nothing more important than stopping the Kardoval, and we’ve eaten and rested already.” He was right, stars take him, but he didn’t have to be all the time.

“Fine. Let’s go.” I stood and pushed Bouncer forward. “Well, are you coming?” I looked back over my shoulder and raised an eyebrow, going for imperious and impatient at once.

“We’re going to need to go back that way.” Garjah pointed in the opposite direction I was facing, toward the outer clothing we’d stored as soon as we came into the central cave system. They must have mined in hotter air from beneath because it was warmer. “Chaintrik, can your people get us all set up?”

“It’s already in motion.” Apparently Timok was so arrogantly assured of our answer because he hadn’t waited for it.

 

I sat below the entrance to a city street because Garjah decided that despite what the Kardoval was supposed to think, he wasn’t going to risk me until he was sure we were being pursued. His first pop up hadn’t been spotted. The second he’d tripped an alarm—on purpose. Scared the life out of me.

Now I listened for my cue. I was supposed to come out with Bouncer, run to him, and then limp back toward the building to our left. There was a back exit that would get us close to another tunnel entrance a block over since three buildings connected on the block.

My heart was hammering so loud, I was worried I wouldn’t hear the signal, but when it came, it was loud and clear. I pushed open the concealed shaft top, waited for Bouncer, then shut it quietly, kicking some trash from the alley on top of it. Then I ran.

Bouncer lead the way straight to Garjah. A little too straight! We ran right into a firefight, one I hadn’t expected. “We have to go,” Garjah said.

I ducked as the whine of a blast hit over my head. Heat and ozone filled the air. Iddddddddd shrieked as a corner of one building crumpled. “What kind of ammunition are they using?” I asked in shock.

“Piercing live rounds. They have orders to shoot to kill. Both of us.” Garjah took both of my left arm. “Run. Fast.”

He didn’t have to say it twice. We all ran, and by some grace of whatever gods might or might not be real, no one got shot. Then again, they did say some on the Kardoval’s security team would be on his side, which could help Garjah. Did they just mean not die? Or where he was supposed to get hit?

Or worse, where I was supposed to be shot. I didn’t want to get shot. The damn makeshift bandages trapped wrapped around my neck and pinning my movements and breathing. “What else… do we have to… do?” I panted.

Garjah was carrying a large, makeshift bag. “Hide,” he said.

“I can do that.” We ducked into the building. Security officers poured in after us. 

Want more flash?

Julie Lynn Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!