Friday, May 31, 2013

Weekly Review: Beggars and Choosers by Mia Kerick

Beggars and ChoosersBeggars and Choosers by Mia Kerick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a 3.5 for me, rounded up. I started it, put it down, then re-started it one day when I had nothing better to do. I really enjoyed the characters, and the plot had a nice arc, but the accent the author employed for the characters drove me nuts. It took a while to get used to it enough to ignore the ignorant sounding speech pattern.

So many times you have stories where the characters are really bad off and magically get everything they want after they suffer a ton. Well ... that does happen here, but not like you might think. The plot arc is really all about Brett and Cory's friendship and how that develops, but I felt the climactic events were a bit too much to be supported by earlier events.

Brett's character was a little too stupid to live. He pulls some really dumb stuff and his protests that he doesn't need anyone and is only doing everything he does out of a sense of friendship is so clearly bunk. Cory's character was really well written, though I expected him to be more 'wise to world' no matter how much Brett tried to protect him. His innocence felt too contrived.

All in all, I liked the story. I even bought the sequel because I wanted to see more of Cory and Brett's story. If you really like this genre, and the synopsis intrigues you, get it. I don't think you'll regret it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my stories or blog. Flamers will be laughed at!